Stick with me; our camera's broken. What at time in life to have a broken camera! Our kids change every day! I'm shopping for new one, so you'll have updated pictures soon.
I wish I had a digital recorder to capture the hilarious things Anali has started saying. This week, she's getting closer to sentences. Our pastor is preaching on Jesus' "I am" statements of recent. Anali must be taking God's own syntax to heart, because she's started speaking "sentences" with subjects and "to be" verbs, but she's leaving off the object, or THE POINT, of the sentence. She'll say "Ani, too, is..." or "That truck is..." and leave it at that. It gets me every time. I keep wondering, "What? What is the truck?" It's fun to see her express what's on her mind. It will be more fun when that expression is fully coherent.
Recently, we've been enjoying new activities. She's taken up painting with watercolors, and she's quite good for a toddler. She can even make circles, which is a big accomplishment, I assure you. All I've been studying about literacy for my Masters is making me thoroughly enjoy Anali's emerging literacy skills. I have to make myself not document every minor stage of her reading and writing development.
In the meantime, if I could only document the other things. She'll be two in June and I haven't put a single picture in a single album for her, except to send to family. My friend Michelle made me the most precious scrapbook for her and I'm so indecisive about what perfect pictures to put in it, it's still empty (Forgive me, Michelle. Then, come HELP ME!). I write sloppy notes in a ten-cent spiral notebook, thinking I'll spend one day transferring all of my notes to a lovelier journal I bought TWO YEARS AGO!
Asher is six, no, SEVEN weeks old now. Let's just say he's developing. I'm not really sure what he's doing, but he's growing - BIG. He makes googly eyes at me and smiles with his whole face, though his lips only turn up slightly. He really responds to Anali, who loves to get right up to his face and exclaim, "Hi! Hi, Ash! Hi!" or say very matter-of-factly as I change his diaper, "Yellow poo-poo. Yellow poo-poo" or "Penny, out! Penny, out!" to which I have to remind her, "No, sweetie. YOU swallowed the penny, and I hope it's already out!" Not real sure when it came out, but after TWO WEEKS of scavenging through her diapers with popsicle sticks and Ziploc baggies, I gave up looking. A metal detector at the doctor's office said, "Yep, it's there," but not 30 minutes later, an X-ray revealed, "Nope, no penny." I'm thinking it's a miracle; Brandon thinks she never swallowed it. She had better have swallowed it, or what was the two weeks' diaper diving all about?
Ahhhh, motherhood! There's really nothing danty about it. But every day, I look at my kids and think, "Man, I LIKE YOU. And I'd like you even if you weren't mine!"
I wish I had a digital recorder to capture the hilarious things Anali has started saying. This week, she's getting closer to sentences. Our pastor is preaching on Jesus' "I am" statements of recent. Anali must be taking God's own syntax to heart, because she's started speaking "sentences" with subjects and "to be" verbs, but she's leaving off the object, or THE POINT, of the sentence. She'll say "Ani, too, is..." or "That truck is..." and leave it at that. It gets me every time. I keep wondering, "What? What is the truck?" It's fun to see her express what's on her mind. It will be more fun when that expression is fully coherent.
Recently, we've been enjoying new activities. She's taken up painting with watercolors, and she's quite good for a toddler. She can even make circles, which is a big accomplishment, I assure you. All I've been studying about literacy for my Masters is making me thoroughly enjoy Anali's emerging literacy skills. I have to make myself not document every minor stage of her reading and writing development.
In the meantime, if I could only document the other things. She'll be two in June and I haven't put a single picture in a single album for her, except to send to family. My friend Michelle made me the most precious scrapbook for her and I'm so indecisive about what perfect pictures to put in it, it's still empty (Forgive me, Michelle. Then, come HELP ME!). I write sloppy notes in a ten-cent spiral notebook, thinking I'll spend one day transferring all of my notes to a lovelier journal I bought TWO YEARS AGO!
Asher is six, no, SEVEN weeks old now. Let's just say he's developing. I'm not really sure what he's doing, but he's growing - BIG. He makes googly eyes at me and smiles with his whole face, though his lips only turn up slightly. He really responds to Anali, who loves to get right up to his face and exclaim, "Hi! Hi, Ash! Hi!" or say very matter-of-factly as I change his diaper, "Yellow poo-poo. Yellow poo-poo" or "Penny, out! Penny, out!" to which I have to remind her, "No, sweetie. YOU swallowed the penny, and I hope it's already out!" Not real sure when it came out, but after TWO WEEKS of scavenging through her diapers with popsicle sticks and Ziploc baggies, I gave up looking. A metal detector at the doctor's office said, "Yep, it's there," but not 30 minutes later, an X-ray revealed, "Nope, no penny." I'm thinking it's a miracle; Brandon thinks she never swallowed it. She had better have swallowed it, or what was the two weeks' diaper diving all about?
Ahhhh, motherhood! There's really nothing danty about it. But every day, I look at my kids and think, "Man, I LIKE YOU. And I'd like you even if you weren't mine!"
Gotta get the whole-body shot!
Anali had adored reading lately. She cuddles with books as if they are teddy bears. She'll get out of bed and get a pile of books and entertain herself some mornings. I like those mornings. It's pretty much the cutest thing ever!


2 comments:
Asher & Anali look nothing alike! Are you sure you mothered them both?
When I used to put Nate down for his nap, he wanted to bring his toys to bed & I was certain he just wanted to play after I shut that door.... Sure enough, he would sometimes & those days it would take forever to sleep. So, full of naivety, I promised I wouldn't do that when I was a parent - my children would take quality naps... but now I realize they are comfort objects & why not have Isaac go to sleep dreaming about tractors & trains, waking up to them in the morning too? It is adorable & 10 minutes less of sleep really doesn't matter.
I love the stages Isaac has gone through; but I have gone through mourning when they pass - the reading, the coloring, the painting, the worshipping his mommy.... Isaac is very interested in being physically active & I am so the opposite - I'm in an incubation period. Enjoy the reading stage & painting & all that. Enjoy the language development because as much as I love hearing Isaac say although, either, instead, actually, liquid & and hundreds of other 5-year old words, when he doesn't stop speaking (& Anali later) you might look at language development a bit differently.
I love reading your blog...it is the best thing about you not teaching - you have time again! Sorry my responses are so long. Apparently I have a lot of pent up frustrations.
i love that you love being a mommy :)
Post a Comment