Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I Like You

Because I don't tell him privately often enough, I thought I'd celebrate publicly all of the qualities that I like about my husband. Though I'm technically still on maternity leave from work, I'm still a full-time graduate student, and that takes me away from home a few days each week. Brandon never complains. Not once has he whispered that he's too tired from work to care for the kids all by himself while I finish up this crazy dream of mine (Granted, they're pleasant kids, but repeated evenings of single-parenting are tough.). It's easy to brag about my kids, but it's high time Brandon gets the credit he deserves. Below, the Why-I-Like-Brandon list continues:
- Though he doesn't always see the crumbs on the floor or the tupperware on the counter, he cleans the kitchen more often than most men.
- He may leave wet bottles on the counter, but he voluntarily empties. the dishwasher, more often than I do
- He scrubs our shower, and I've never asked him to.
- He loves to vacuum, and he doesn't skip the hard to reach spots.
- He waters my plants (and even though I take no part in their care, I still call them MY plants).
- He weeds MY garden.
- He takes Anali to the swings so I can have a few quiet moments.
- He supports me when I'm disciplining Anali.
- He puts the kids down to sleep whenever I ask and often without my asking.
- He tries valiantly to make Anali's hair look decent
- He does the laundry. It may never get put away, but it's clean alright!
- He likes to learn new skills from his friends.
- He uses those skills to build things, like a laundry chute or new cabinets.
- He keeps an impeccable lawn.
- He likes my friends and encourages me to return phone calls.
- He lets me watch movies in bed even though he has to get up at 4:00 in the morning.
- He encourages me to be active and is patient when I'm slow.
- He doesn't sell my mountain bike to buy the kayak he wants, even though I haven't ridden my bike for three years.
- He expects me to speak kindly and is patient when I don't.
- He teaches our children how to play.
- I almost never have to pump my own gas.
- He knows how to fix things; he has this amazing mind to fix things he was never trained to fix. How do men do that?
- He just installed a new kitchen sink for me. Do you know how hard that is?
- Last Tuesday evening, he wrote, "I love you, Rach" on our bathroom mirror.
- He likes alone time - he's his own person - but he doesn't demand it.
- He likes being home.
- He has a strong work ethic and is NEVER late to work, never calls in, and rarely complains.
- He thanks me for working, never takes it for granted.
- He cooks dinner OFTEN.
- He makes pancakes on Sunday mornings.
- He is well-groomed, but not high-maintenance.
- He comes home and changes his shoes and into a sweater - OK, a flannel - like Mr. Rogers. I tell you, it's the tackiest outfit, but somehow endearing.
- I have never had to wash the windows in our house; he does it.
- He mops, too!
- He helps my friends do yard work and landscaping projects.
- He reads me small snippets of the articles he's reading because he thinks they're interesting and I might like them.
- He clips coupons.

Somehow Brandon does all of these things, many of which are stereotypically female tasks, and makes them seem ultra-masculine. It makes me wonder how women ever got away with doing the laundry, minding the children, mopping the floor, and baking peach crisp! He is a HOTTY and a HELPER!

Brandon, I see you.

3 comments:

Gina said...

what an amazing post... i loved it! what a great man you have.

Amy said...

you are blessed rachel!

The Devereuxs said...

Such a sweet post. He really is an amazing guy--you two compliment each other!