Shannon read from Ecclesiastes. Though there is a time for mourning,
we sure don't ever expect it to be our time.
I read from the eulogy I wrote in Dad's honor.
Asher and Anali each placed a stone on the memorial we created to remember Dad.
It felt important to me to similarly remember both Dad and the God he served so faithfully throughout his life. The significance of this story is that Dad died not weeks after the fortieth anniversary of his salvation. There were times his faith felt like aimless wandering, I'm sure, but what matters most is that he was among the chosen to enter into the Promised Land. For his service, we gathered a collection of rocks he himself selected from a mountain in the Cascades. We brought them with us to the bluff at Washington Park and, following the ceremony, each placed one a the base of the tree Dad so loved there. His friends and siblings joined in the honor, as we created a memorial for our Dad, a promise to remember him, and the God he taught us to love.
I hope when I return, I'll find a piece of that memorial and get to remind Anali and Asher of their Papa who loved them.

No comments:
Post a Comment