Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Eleven Months


In just under a month Anali will be turning ONE! Before having children, young couples are ever reminded of the life altering consequences of having children. I'd like to go on the record as saying, "Can't argue with the Bible. Children are a crown to their parents." My most treasured days have been spent in the company of this precious girl (and her Daddy). Here's what I've been surprised to find in this first year of motherhood:
- I can listen to a baby cry for as long as she needs to without questioning whether or not I'm a good mother. I do check on her, of course, but I can trust myself to sense what's most important for her, in the "now" and in the long run.
- When babies start crawling, I won't "be sorry." And despite what you say, I'm excited for her to start walking. I know she's going to love it. Seasoned parents warn me I'll mourn her days of immobility. But think of all that walking means: camping, because the child isn't crawling in the dirt; more time in the yard, because the child isn't crawling in the dirt; a new kind of bonding, as she learns to trust herself and her parents in new ways; three-foot high exploration, which will allow me a workout without paying exorbitant gym membership fees.
- Babies don't get hurt as easily as you'd think. They don't choke as easily as you'd think. And they don't roll down stairs as often as you'd think.
- It's okay to relax with your first child and still keep her safe, but you might need to fake neurosis in order to be a credible new mother.
- It's true, we don't get out as much as we used to, but we actually like that.
- Spontaneity does not have to die with parenthood. Not when it comes to going out, taking time for oneself, or even sex, people. It's just a more responsible sort of spontaneity, wouldn't you agree?
- I can be an amazing mother and be a powerful mentor at work, too. I can have simultaneous calllings.
- My relationship with my parents, biological and in-law, has gotten even better. Not once have they even hinted at how we should raise our daughter. That's amazing to me. I have to ask for parenting advice. You four are incredible!
- I can still read books. Lots and lots of books. A thousand pages a month. It's easy to make time for those things I love...well, my favorite things at least. And the dishes do pay a price. But, what's a buttery bread plate to a heart of happiness and Victor Hugo?
- I love putting away toys. It feels happy to me. So does finding a lone sock in the couch.
Brandon says I can't finish this list until she's actually a year old. More to come.
P. S. It's hard too, sometimes. But that part is easier to forget.
Love,
Rachel
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love this post~! I totally agree too :) being a mom is so wonderful :)love, gina

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful picture. It looks like an early morning greeting. How could your day not start well with such a warm and precious ‘Good Morning“ smile! What a joy to find that Anali is an obvious morning person too!
Ona

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Ohh, I loved this list! It's freeing to meet another relaxed mama like myself. I always felt like I was lacking somewhere because I wasn't freaking out like my sister and mom do. I love that I give my children the freedom they need to explore new things. And if they get bumped or bruised in the process, it's a lesson learned. =)

Anonymous said...

Its called the Peace that passes understanding, and it comes from a deep trust in your heavenly Father, who gives good gifts to His Children, and what a wonderful gift she is...love Grandpa M