Wednesday, April 09, 2008

When the Boppy Comes Out: Beware

Brandon and the Kids

Is it just me, or is nursing time full of danger? Anali, 21 months old, is not disobedient, and she is not unwary. She is a thoughtful and responsible kid. YET, suddenly, I find myself praying for a protective bubble to surround her when I'm nursing Asher.


In the past week, she has swallowed a penny; found her fluoride drops, opened them (despite the security cap), and sucked on the dropper like a lollipop; and found a pencil in a drawer, run with it, tripped, and nearly poked her eye out. Two of those three she performed just this afternoon. I am beginning to feel like a neglectful mother. How do moms-of-two-or-more do it? How can I keep her safe AND feed my son?


I try to keep her in my sight and read to her or draw flowers for her on her magnadoodle (which is probably being recalled as I write), but then I forget to pay attention to Asher's nursing and I can't tell if the little lad has gotten enough to eat, OR, as was the case, also today, the magnadoodle and/or book is thrust through the air and lands on the baby's head.


Anali seems to be adjusting beautifully to having her little brother around. She runs to get him his blanket or his Soothie. She tries to share her crackers. She lays beside him and coos at him as she sees Mama doing. She is still greeting him every morning with her precious, squeaky, "Hi, baby Ash."


Perhaps, all of this endearing behavior is masking how she really feels: "PAY ATTENTION TO ME." Moms-of-two-or-more-children, is there ever a night you go to bed without feeling you've overlooked something, or someone?


3 comments:

Dave and Kasey said...

Never a dull moment with multiple kids! It is a challenge to nurse and keep an eye on your toddler. If it makes you feel any better, yesterday I found my kitchen floor had been colored with red crayon, the kids had covered each other in vaporub, and I later found shoes in my freezer!

Michelle said...

Okay, I honestly didn't think I would go on and on to make this a novel proportioned response, but here there I went...

No. There is never a night I collapse into bed and think, "WOW! Today, I covered all the bases & was a great mother!" Now that I'm pregnant, I find my patience is at a negative level...Isaac doesn't even have to do anything and I'm impatient... this morning, I decided to get up before the kids to pray about it & read (because I really think my cup is just not able to overflow because it is bone dry....). Of course as soon as my coffee was brewed & Bible opened, down the stairs plops Isaac excited to play with his new remote control car, then up the driveway comes my father with Jacob - whom I babysit, and Natalie cries because I'm not looking at her.... today was the day in which all I wanted to do was cry. BUT it is good, they still smile, I still smile & I before I delve into too grand of pity (why not two t's in that word?) party, I remember some families have twins & triplets...who am I to complain?

Michelle said...

Oh yeah - Isaac was totally the same way, except he was usually throwing himself on the floor & crying hysterically as I fed Natalie. Soon enough it will just become part of the routine. I remember when Isaac was putting words together last year & one of his first longest sentences was... "Take baby natalie off boomb, put baby natalie in swing & come play cars on ground!" Whatever evoked enough passion to get him to say a 12+ word sentence must have been something special/traumatic.